Synology DiskStation DS216se
Create your own budget-friendly cloud
Our Price: $172.00
Synology DiskStation DS216se is a budget-friendly two-bay NAS device, ideal for starting your own cloud or creating a no-fuss and full-featured file server. Powered by DiskStation Manager, DS216se offers possibilities way beyond the traditional NAS servers with built-in applications and handy add-on packages.
High-performance and floating-point unit boost efficiency
The DS216se delivers an average of over 102 MB/sec reading and over 59 MB/sec writing speed under RAID 1 configuration in a Windows® environment.1 The built-in floating-point unit enhances the overall capability of the main CPU, and is particularly advantageous in speeding up thumbnail creation when uploading large amounts of photos or videos.
Eco-friendly NAS server
Designed to be energy efficient, DS216se consumes relatively little power at 13.73 watts while accessing and 5.12 watts when hard drive hibernation is enabled*.Moreover, with the new scheduled power on/off feature, users are able to manage and reduce their operation cost. Synology acknowledges the responsibility as a global citizen, so all Synology products are produced with RoHS compliant parts and packed with recyclable packing materials.
Award winning OS - DiskStation Manager
Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) is a sleek, browser-based operating system running on every DiskStation and RackStation, which makes managing your Synology NAS a breeze. Featuring an intuitive user interface, DSM makes accessing and sharing your data smarter and simpler. Synology's Package Center lets you download and install useful add-on packages designed specifically for individual or business needs, meaning you can enjoy more entertainment in your life or better productivity at work.
Connect your data quickly and easily
Synology aims to provide you the most convenient way to enjoy all services on DS216se. With Synology QuickConnect, you don't have to deal with difficult DDNS setup. QuickConnect frees you from complicated router configuration and port-forwarding, so your entertainment and work files can be accessed on any computer, laptop, or mobile devices instantly without extra charge.
Ultimate file center
File Station is a fast and secure feature for sharing and managing your files stored on DS216se. Just drag-n-drop and upload data from Mac or PC. Advanced filters make it easy to search for documents, photos, or videos. With built-in FTP or email clients, DS216se lets you organize and share files through an advanced web application effortlessly. You can even share files and folders with others by simply sending a link. Files can be reached on mobile devices via the companion mobile app DS file. HTTPS, SSL/TLS encryption, and link expiry dates also ensure file sharing over the Internet is highly secure.
The most compatible sharing
Enjoy seamless files sharing across Windows®, Mac®, and Linux® platforms as DS216se offers comprehensive network protocol support including FTP, SMB2, AFP, NFS and WebDAV. With Windows AD and LDAP integration, DS216se can fit effortlessly into any existing network environment - there is no need for IT administrators to maintain two sets of credentials. You also won't worry about missing files with the Recycle Bin feature which is supported on AFP, CIFS, File Station, and WebDAV. All files deleted in a shared folder will be automatically moved into the Recycle Bin.
Backup data in multiple ways
DS216se is the perfect backup destination for your data. No matter you are a Windows or Mac user, you can back up everything on your computer directly to Synology NAS using Cloud Station. Mac users also enjoy native Apple® Time Machine support. You can specify your backup destination as not only local hard drives, but also connected USB storage devices, or public cloud services, such as Amazon S3, Amazon Glacier, Microsoft Azure, SFR, and hicloud. Additionally, "Backup & Replication" allows you to schedule backup tasks and restore the server to any particular point in time, while minimizing storage consumption and processing time by saving only specific data blocks that are changed between versions.
Your files anywhere with cloud service
DS216se brings you comprehensive cloud service. Cloud Station lets you sync files among DiskStations and multiple devices, including Windows PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, as well as Windows mobile devices, whereas 2-way sync allows file synchronization among different DiskStations. You can even sync your DiskStation with Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, Box, hubiC, and Baidu Cloud — establish your hybrid cloud to enjoy more storage flexibility and prevent data loss.
Get mobility with our apps
Synology develops versatile mobile apps — DS note, DS audio, DS video, DS photo+, DS cloud, DS file, DS download and DS cam — allowing you to access and manage the contents of your DS216se with smartphones and tablets. QuickConnect brings an easier network experience as it eliminates complicated router configuration or port forwarding. With Synology mobile apps, your multimedia collection and work files are always on the go.
|CPU Model||Marvell Armada 370 88F6707|
|CPU Frequency||800 MHz|
|System Memory||256 MB DDR3|
|Maximum Internal Raw Capacity||16 TB (8 TB HDD X 2) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)|
|USB 2.0 Port||2|
|Size (Height X Width X Depth)||165 mm X 100 mm X 225.5 mm|
|RJ-45 1GbE LAN Port||1|
|System Fan||92 mm X 92 mm X 1 pcs|
|Noise Level||18.4 dB(A)|
|Power Supply Unit / Adapter||60W|
|AC Input Power Voltage||100V to 240V AC|
|Power Consumption||13.73 W (Access)
5.12 W (HDD Hibernation)
|Power Frequency||50/60 Hz, Single Phase|
|Operating Temperature||5°C to 40°C (40°F to 104°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-20°C to 60°C (-5°F to 140°F)|
|Relative Humidity||5% to 95% RH|
- Power consumption is measured when fully loaded with Western Digital 1TB WD10EFRX hard drive(s).
- Noise Level Testing Environment: Fully loaded with Seagate 1TB ST31000520AS hard drive(s) in idle; Two G.R.A.S. Type 40AE microphones, each set up at 1 meter away from the Synology NAS front and rear; Background noise: 16.49-17.51 dB(A); Temperature: 24.25-25.75˚C; Humidity: 58.2-61.8%
Synology strives to enhance the performance of our NAS with every software update, even long after a product is launched. For enterprises and users that demand uncompromising performance from their servers, check the figures below to find the most suitable choice.
1GbE SMB - Sequential Throughput (64KB)
1GbE SMB - Sequential Throughput via Encrypted Shared Folder (64KB)
1GbE SMB - Windows File Transfer (3GB file x 1)
1GbE SMB - Windows File Transfer (1MB file x 3000)
1GbE SM - Windows File Transfer via Encrypted Shared Folder (3GB file x 1)
1GbE SMB - Windows File Transfer via Encrypted Shared Folder (1MB file x 3000)
1GbE AFP - Mac File Transfer (3GB file x 1)
1GbE AFP - Mac File Transfer (1MB file x 3000)
1GbE Web Server - HTML Response Efficiency
|Responses per second||23813.06||65639||39309.4||23710.64||18677.36||19002.2||3633.57|
1GbE Web Server - PHP Response Efficiency
|Responses per second||4502.74||13329.55||8763.35||4481.41||3861.92||3362.31||765.5|
- Operating System: DSM 6.1
- Volume Type: RAID 5 (4 bay), RAID 1 (2 bay), Basic (1 bay)
- DS416slim: Fully loaded with Intel 535 Series 240GB SSDSC2BW240H6 SSD
- Other models: Fully loaded with Seagate ST6000VN0001 6TB HDD
- File System:
- [1-bay] DS116, DS115j
- [2-bay] RS217, DS216, DS216play, DS216j, DS216se
- [4-bay] RS816, DS418, DS418j, DS416slim
- [2-bay] DS718+, DS218+
- [4-bay] RS815(RP)+, DS918+, DS418play
- 1GbE Network Environments:
- For models with single 1GbE LAN port: MTU 1500; connected to 1 client PC via HP 2530-48G switch
- For models with multiple 1GbE LAN ports: Link Aggregation is enabled for Sequential Throughput tests; MTU 1500; connected to client PCs via HP 2530-48G switch
- 1GbE SMB Network Environments:
- For NAS models with single 1GbE LAN port: Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz; 32GB DDR3-1866; RAMdisk with 14GB source partition and 14GB target partition; Intel Gigabit CT; MTU 1500; Windows 7 64-bit
- For NAS models with multiple 1GbE LAN ports: Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz; 4GB DDR3-1600; Intel 520 (120GB) SSD x 2; striped volume; Intel Gigabit CT; MTU 1500; Windows 7 64-bit
- IOMeter setting for Sequential Throughput tests: Continuously read from/write to a single 8GB file for 3 minutes; Block size: 64KB
- 1GbE Web Server Network Environment:
- Intel Core i7-6700 3.40GHz; 16GB DDR4-2133; Intel Gigabit CT; MTU 1500; Ubuntu 16.04
- (html) wrk -t 8 -c [10-250] -d 60s -H "Host: benchmark" http://DS_IP/index.html
- (php) wrk -t 8 -c [10-250] -d 60s -H "Host: benchmark"http://DS_IP/echo.php
- 1GbE AFP Network Environment: Mac Mini; 2.3GHz 4 core Intel Core i7; 16GB DDR3-1600; RAMdisk with 7GB source partition and 4GB target partition; MTU 1500; OSX 10.9
- Performance figures are achieved in the Synology lab by using very powerful client computers with optimized network settings, and could vary in different environments. Regular office desktop or notebook computers may not be able to reproduce these figures.
Download the Synology DiskStation DS216se Data Sheet (PDF).
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.
Our Price: $172.00