Multimedia-enhanced personal cloud solution
Sorry, this product is no longer available, Please contact us for a replacement.
Synology DiskStation DS418play is a 4-bay NAS designed for ultra-high definition multimedia enthusiasts. Powered by a new dual-core processor, DS418play supports real-time transcoding for up to 2 channels of H.265/H.264 4K videos at the same time. AES-NI support ensures smooth encrypted data transfer and safeguards critical digital assets. Synology DS418play is backed by Synology’s 2-year limited warranty.
- Ideal 4-bay NAS as home multimedia center
- Encrypted sequential throughput at over 226 MB/s reading, 185 MB/s writing
- Dual-channel H.265/H.264 4K video transcoding on the fly
- Dual-core processor with AES-NI hardware encryption engine
- 2GB DDR3L-1866 memory, up to 6GB
- Advanced Btrfs file system offering 65,000 system-wide snapshots and 1,024 snapshots per shared folder
- Anywhere access with iOS/Android/Windows ready mobile apps
Optimal Performance and Hardware Design
Synology DS418play is a 4-bay network attached storage solution equipped with an dual-core processor and 2GB DDR3L memory (expandable up to 6GB). With Link Aggregation enabled, DS418play delivers great sequential throughput performance at over 226 MB/s reading and 220 MB/s writing1 . With AES-NI hardware accelerated encryption, DS418play delivers encrypted data throughput at over 226 MB/s reading and 185 MB/s writing.
DS418play comes with two USB 3.0 ports for high-speed external storage exchange. The dual 1GbE ports support network failover to prevent unexpected LAN failure. Hot-swappable drive trays with tray locks ensure easy drive replacement and protect data security. Brightness-adjustable front LED with schedule control provides flexible LED settings that best suit your environment.
4K Ultra HD Multimedia Library
Synology DiskStation DS418play features real-time transcoding for up to 2 channels of H.264/H.265 4K videos at the same time, bringing more powerful support to the latest multimedia formats and contents. With Video Station, you can organize personal digital video library with comprehensive media information, and watch 4K Ultra HD movies and films. The intuitive design of Photo Station allows you to effortlessly organize photos into customized categories, smart albums and blog posts, and link them to social networking websites within a few clicks. Audio Station comes with Internet radio and lossless audio formats support, and provides music playback via DLNA and AirPlay®- compliant devices.
Synology provides various mobile applications allowing you to enjoy your multimedia library even when on the go. Available on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone platforms, DS photo, DS audio, DS video, and DS file enable access to your Synology NAS through Photo Station, Audio Station, Video Station, and File Station. What’s more, you can use DS get to remotely manage and monitor download tasks on Download Station.
QuickConnect allows you to connect via a simple customizable address so that you can instantly access media and work files on any Windows/Mac/Linux computer, laptop, or mobile device.
Btrfs: Next Generation Storage Efficiency
DS418play introduces the Btrfs file system, bringing the most advanced storage technologies to meet the management needs of modern businesses:
- Built-in data integrity check detects data and file system corruption with data and meta-data checksums and improve the overall stability.
- Flexible Shared Folder/User Quota System provides comprehensive quota control over all user accounts and shared folders.
- Advanced snapshot technology with customizable backup schedule allows up to 1,024 copies of shared folder backups in a minimum 5-minute interval without occupying huge storage capacity and system resources.
- File or folder level data restoration brings huge conveniences and saves time for users who wish to restore only a specific file or folder.
- File self-healing: Btrfs file system can auto-detect corrupted files with mirrored metadata, and recover broken data using the supported RAID volumes, which include RAID1, 5, 6, and 10.
Effective Sync & Backup Solution
DS418play can serve as a centralized backup destination, making it easy to create your own private cloud. Cloud Sync keeps your Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Baidu, and Box storages in sync with DS418play at home. Cloud Station Suite allows you to sync files among multiple devices, including Windows PC, Mac, Linux, and Android/iOS tablets and phones, effortlessly keeping everything up-to-date.
With block-level incremental backup and cross-version deduplication, Synology Hyper Backup provides multi-version backup with optimized storage utilization and allows back up to multiple destinations–local shared folders, external hard drives, network shared folders, rsync servers, and public cloud services.
Energy Efficient and Easy Management
Synology DS418play is designed and developed with energy efficiency in mind. DS418play consumes only 29.01 W in regular operation. Wake on LAN/WAN and scheduled power on/off can further reduce power consumption and operational cost. With HDD hibernation, hard drives can enter the energy-saving mode automatically when the system has been idle for a specified period of time.
Massive storage capacity with 4K Ultra HD capability
Synology DS418play is designed to be your ideal, centralized multimedia hub with over 40TB of raw storage capacity, allowing you to transcode up to 2 channels of H.265/H.264 4K videos at the same time. With a powerful built-in AES-NI hardware encryption engine, DS418play also provides excellent encrypted file transmission.
4K Multimedia Server
Access and stream your favorite 4K content anywhere, anytime. DS418 supports 10-bit 4K H.265 online transcoding via Video Station and DS video, allowing 4K videos to be converted and played on your computers, mobile devices, or other media players that don't support Ultra HD formats.
Next-generation file system for better data protection
The Btrfs file system introduces advanced storage technologies and optimized snapshots to prevent data corruption and reduce maintenance overhead. While ensuring high-level data integrity, it also offers flexible, efficient data protection and recovery tools.
- Flexible Shared Folder / User Quota System provides comprehensive quota control on user accounts and shared folders
- Snapshot Replication provides schedulable and storage capacity-saving data protection with 1,024 shared folder backups and 65,000 system-wide snapshots
- File- or folder-level data restoration accelerates data recovery, providing more flexibility for businesses
- Automatic file self-healing detects and recovers corrupted files without user intervention
Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) technology
Storage management is easy with Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) technology. SHR is an automated RAID management system allowing you to easily create and expand storage volumes and migrate RAID types without requiring details on RAID. SHR provides 1 to 2-disk redundancy to safeguard your data during drive failures.
SHR maximizes the data capacity of your RAID when different sizes of HDDs are used.
- Easy Management
For novice users who have no technical background and still want to protect their data using RAID technology, a convenient installation wizard will guide you through all the steps during your first installation.
You can add new disks on the fly in Storage Manager with a simple click.
While creating a volume, you can plan ahead and leave empty and unallocated space for future usage.
Easy file access with QuickConnect
Access files on your Synology NAS over the Internet without the hassle of setting up port forwarding rules, DDNS, or other complicated network settings. QuickConnect allows you to connect via a simple customizable address (e.g. https://customID.quickconnect.to), so that you can instantly access media and work files on any Windows/Mac/Linux computer, laptop, or mobile device without additional charge.
Powered by Synology DSM
Cloud Station Suite
Synchronize cross-platform data automatically with file version control on all your devices.
Synology Office, Calendar and Chat guarantee a secure and high-performance private communication and user-friendly content organization.
Powerful built-in file management and sharing services.
Award-winning operating system with an intuitive user interface and powerful capabilities.
Simplified backup solution for your Mac, PC, and mobile devices.
Comprehensive built-in security tools are constantly updated to tackle evolving threats and protect your devices.
- Status indicator
- Drive status indicator
- Drive tray lock
- USB 3.0 port
- Power button and indicator
- Drive tray
- 1GbE RJ-45 port
- Reset button
- USB 3.0 port
- Power port
- Kensington Security Slot
|CPU Model||Intel Celeron J3355|
|CPU Frequency||Dual Core 2.0 burst up to 2.5 GHz|
|Hardware Encryption Engine (AES-NI)|
|Hardware Transcoding Engine||H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC), MPEG-2 and VC-1; maximum resolution: 4K (4096 x 2160); maximum frame rate per second (FPS): 30|
|System Memory||2 GB DDR4|
|Memory Module Pre-installed||2GB (1 x 2GB)|
|Total Memory Slots||2|
|Memory Expandable up to||6 GB (2 GB + 4 GB)|
|Compatible Drive Type||
|Maximum Internal Raw Capacity||40 TB (10 TB HDD x 4) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)|
|Maximum Single Volume Size||108 TB|
|RJ-45 1GbE LAN Port||2 (with Link Aggregation / Failover support)|
|USB 3.0 Port||2|
|Size (Height X Width X Depth)||166 mm x 199 mm x 223 mm|
|System Fan||92 mm x 92 mm x 2 pcs|
|Fan Speed Mode||
|Brightness adjustable front LED indicators|
|Noise Level||20.5 dB(A)|
|Scheduled Power On/Off|
|Wake on LAN/WAN|
|Power Supply Unit / Adapter||90W|
|AC Input Power Voltage||100V to 240V AC|
|Power Frequency||50/60 Hz, Single Phase|
|Power Consumption||29.01 W (Access)
5.57 W (HDD Hibernation)
|British Thermal Unit||98.98 BTU/hr (Access)
19.01 BTU/hr (HDD Hibernation)
|Operating Temperature||5°C to 40°C (40°F to 104°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-20°C to 60°C (-5°F to 140°F)|
|Relative Humidity||5% to 95% RH|
|Notes||Power consumption is measured when fully loaded with Western Digital 1TB WD10EFRX hard drive(s).|
|General DSM Specifications:|
|Networking protocol||SMB, AFP, NFS, FTP, WebDAV, CalDAV, iSCSI, Telnet, SSH, SNMP, VPN (PPTP, OpenVPN , L2TP)|
|Supported RAID type||Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR), Basic, JBOD, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10|
|File sharing capability||
|Privilege||Windows Access Control List (ACL), application privilege|
|Directory service||Windows AD Integration: Domain Users login via Samba (CIFS)/AFP/FTP/File Station, LDAP integration|
|Security||Firewall, encrypted shared folder, SMB encryption, FTP over SSL/TLS, SFTP, rsync over SSH, login auto block, Let's Encrypt support, HTTPS (Customizable cipher suite)|
|Supported client||Windows 7 and 10, Mac OS X 10.11 onwards|
|Supported browser||Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer: 10 onwards, Safari 10 onwards, Safari (iOS 10 onwards), Chrome (Android 6.0 onwards)|
|Language||English, Deutsch, Français, Italiano, Español, Dansk, Norsk, Svensk, Nederlands, Русский, Polski, Magyar, Português do Brasil, Português Europeu, Türkçe, Český|
|Packages and Applications:|
|File Station||Virtual drive, remote folder, Windows ACL editor, compress/extract archived files, bandwidth control for specific users or groups, create sharing links, transfer logs|
|FTP Server||Bandwidth control for TCP connections, custom FTP passive port range, anonymous FTP, FTP SSL/TLS and SFTP protocols, boot over the network with TFTP and PXE support, transfer logs|
|Universal Search||Offer global search into applications and files|
|Hyper Backup||Support local backup, network backup, and backup data to public clouds|
|Active Backup for Server||Centralize data backup for Windows and Linux servers without client installation|
|Backup tools||DSM configuration backup, macOS Time Machine support, Cloud Station Backup
Shared folder sync - maximum tasks: 4
|Cloud Station Suite||Sync data between multiple platforms by installing the client utilities on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS devices, while retaining up to 32 historical versions of files
Maximum concurrent file transfers: 200
|Cloud Sync||One or two-way synchronization with public cloud storage providers including Amazon Drive, Amazon S3-compatible storage, Baidu cloud, Box, Dropbox, Google Cloud Storage, Google Drive, hubiC, MegaDisk, Microsoft OneDrive, OpenStack Swift-compatible storage, WebDAV servers, Yandex Disk|
|Surveillance Station||Maximum IP cameras: 25 (total of 750 FPS at 720p, H.264) (includes two free camera licenses; additional cameras require the purchasing of additional licenses)|
|Active Directory Server||A flexible and cost-effective domain controller solution|
|VPN Server||Maximum connections: 20, supported VPN protocol: PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec|
|MailPlus Server||Secure, reliable, and private mail solution with high-availability, load balancing, security and filtering design (Includes 5 free email account licenses; additional accounts require the purchasing of additional licenses)|
|MailPlus||Intuitive webmail interface for MailPlus Server, customizable mail labels, filters, and user interface|
|Note Station||Rich-text note organization with versioning, encryption, sharing, media embedding and attachments|
|Storage Analyzer||Volume and quota usage, total size of files, volume usage and trends based on past usage, size of shared folders, largest/most/least frequently modified files|
|Antivirus Essential||Full system scan, scheduled scan, white list customization, virus definition auto update|
|Download Station||Supported download protocols: BT, HTTP, FTP, NZB, eMule, Thunder, FlashGet, QQDL
Maximum concurrent download tasks: 80
|Web Station||Virtual host (up to 30 websites), PHP/MariaDB, 3rd-party applications support|
|Other packages||Video Station, Photo Station, Audio Station, DNS Server, RADIUS Server, iTunes Server, Log Center, additional 3rd-party packages are available on Package Center|
|iOS/Android applications||DS audio, DS cam, DS cloud, DS file, DS finder, DS get, DS note, DS photo, DS video, MailPlus|
|Windows Phone applications||DS audio, DS file, DS finder, DS get, DS photo, DS video|
|Environment & Packaging:|
*Model specifications are subject to change without notice. Please refer to www.synology.com for the latest information.
1 Performance figures may vary depending on environment, usage and configuration.
2 DS418play can transcode 4K video to 1080p or lower. The maximum number of concurrent video transcoding channels supported may vary depending on the video codec, resolution, bitrate and FPS.
3 exFAT Access is purchased separately in Package Center.
Synology strives to enhance the performance of our NAS with every software update, even long after a product is launched. For enterprises and users that demand uncompromising performance from their servers, check the figures below to find the most suitable choice.
1GbE SMB - Sequential Throughput (64KB)
1GbE SMB - Sequential Throughput via Encrypted Shared Folder (64KB)
1GbE SMB - Windows File Transfer (3GB file x 1)
1GbE SMB - Windows File Transfer (1MB file x 3000)
1GbE SMB - Windows File Transfer via Encrypted Shared Folder (3GB file x 1)
1GbE SMB - Windows File Transfer via Encrypted Shared Folder (1MB file x 3000)
1GbE AFP - Mac File Transfer (3GB file x 1)
1GbE AFP - Mac File Transfer (1MB file x 3000)
1GbE Web Server - HTML Response Efficiency
|Responses per second||52010.11||3333.06||63488.82||23824.99||39699.81||23430.09||18668.92|
1GbE Web Server - PHP Response Efficiency
|Responses per second||10934.26||5996.57||13690.33||8874.15||8457.31||5585.42||3317|
- Operating System: DSM 6.1
- Volume Type: RAID 5 (4 bay), RAID 1 (2 bay), Basic (1 bay)
- DS416slim: Fully loaded with Intel 535 Series 240GB SSDSC2BW240H6 SSD
- Other models: Fully loaded with Seagate ST6000VN0001 6TB HDD
- File System:
- [1-bay] DS116, DS115j
- [2-bay] RS217, DS216, DS216play, DS216j, DS216se
- [4-bay] RS816, DS418, DS418j, DS416slim
- [2-bay] DS718+, DS218+
- [4-bay] RS815(RP)+, DS918+, DS418play
- 1GbE Network Environments:
- For models with single 1GbE LAN port: MTU 1500; connected to 1 client PC via HP 2530-48G switch
- For models with multiple 1GbE LAN ports: Link Aggregation is enabled for Sequential Throughput tests; MTU 1500; connected to client PCs via HP 2530-48G switch
- 1GbE SMB Network Environments:
- For NAS models with single 1GbE LAN port: Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz; 32GB DDR3-1866; RAMdisk with 14GB source partition and 14GB target partition; Intel Gigabit CT; MTU 1500; Windows 7 64-bit
- For NAS models with multiple 1GbE LAN ports: Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz; 4GB DDR3-1600; Intel 520 (120GB) SSD x 2; striped volume; Intel Gigabit CT; MTU 1500; Windows 7 64-bit
- IOMeter setting for Sequential Throughput tests: Continuously read from/write to a single 8GB file for 3 minutes; Block size: 64KB
- 1GbE Web Server Network Environment:
- Intel Core i7-6700 3.40GHz; 16GB DDR4-2133; Intel Gigabit CT; MTU 1500; Ubuntu 16.04
- (html) wrk -t 8 -c [10-250] -d 60s -H "Host: benchmark" http://DS_IP/index.html
- (php) wrk -t 8 -c [10-250] -d 60s -H "Host: benchmark"http://DS_IP/echo.php
- 1GbE AFP Network Environment: Mac Mini; 2.3GHz 4 core Intel Core i7; 16GB DDR3-1600; RAMdisk with 7GB source partition and 4GB target partition; MTU 1500; OSX 10.9
- Performance figures are achieved in the Synology lab by using very powerful client computers with optimized network settings, and could vary in different environments. Regular office desktop or notebook computers may not be able to reproduce these figures.
Download the Synology DiskStation DS418play Datasheet (PDF).