Highly scalable NAS designed for virtualization, data-intensive applications and service continuity for large scale businesses
Sorry, this product is no longer available, replaced by the RS3621RPxs.
Synology RackStation RS3617RPxs provides reliable, superior-performance network attached storage solution for large scale businesses with comprehensive business applications. RS3617RPxs simplifies data management, optimizes virtualization environments, and rapidly expands storage capacity with minimal time investment in setup and maintenance. Synology RS3617RPxs is backed with Synology’s 5-year limited warranty.
- Reliable centralized storage solution for large scale businesses
- Blazing performance at over 3,829 MB/s throughput and 433,873 IOPS
- Intel Xeon D-1521 Quad-Core 2.4GHz turbo boost to 2.7GHz
- 8GB DDR4-2133 ECC UDIMM, expandable up to 64GB
- Optional 10GbE network capability
- Scale up to 36 drives with Synology RX1217/RX1217RP
- Complete virtualization solution for VMware, Windows Hyper-V, and Citrix
- OpenStack Cinder support
- Advanced Btrfs file system offering 65,000 system-wide snapshots and 1,024 snapshots per shared folder
- Redundant power supplies and redesigned chassis for stronger durability and reliability
- Backed with Synology’s 5-year limited warranty & Synology Replacement Service (SRS)
RS3617RPxs delivers blazing performance at over 3,829 MB/s sequential throughput and 433,873 IOPS under a RAID 5 configuration with 10GbE Link Aggregation enabled1 . Through advanced flash technology, the combination of hard drives and SSD cache boosts throughput efficiently while minimizing cost per gigabyte. In addition to the four 1GbE RJ-45 ports by default, RS3617RPxs comes with dual PCIe 3.0 x8 slots, allowing installation of two 10GbE Network Interface Cards (NIC) to fulfill the demand of data-intensive applications. Equipped with 8GB DDR4 ECC UDIMM and up to 64GB expansion support, RS3617RPxs ensures data accuracy as well as superior performance to provide a rigorous foundation for the mission-critical tasks of your business.
RS3617RPxs provides seamless storage solutions for virtualization environments, including VMware, Citrix, Hyper-V, and OpenStack Cinder. With VMware vSphere 6 and VAAI integration certified, RS3617RPxs helps offload specific storage operations and optimizes computation power for unparalleled performance and efficiency in VMware environments. As the centralized storage of a virtual environment, RS3617RPxs enables virtual machine migration, allowing movement from server to server whilst eliminating service downtime and disruption to user. Windows Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) and Synology Advanced LUN support greatly improves the efficiency on massive data transfer and migration. With OpenStack Cinder support, RS3617RPxs can be used as a block-based storage component for servers complying with the Cinder API.
Comprehensive Business Applications
Powered by the innovative Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), RS3617RPxs comes fullyequipped with applications and features designed specifically for large-scale business:
- Easy integration with existing business network environments through Windows AD and LDAP directory services without recreating user accounts.
- Windows ACL support provides fine-grained access control and efficient privilege settings, allowing RS3617RPxs to fit seamlessly into current infrastructure.
- Built-in backup applications protect information assets by regularly backing up files and iSCSI LUNs locally and remotely.
- Continuous data protection with snapshots of shared folders allows restoration of previous versions when the need arises.
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) on shared folders with hardware acceleration ensures security without compromising access performance, providing over 2,612MB/s in reading.
RS3617RPxs is designed to grow with businesses and provides the ability to seamlessly expand a single volume up to 108TB (default) / 200TB (with at least 32GB RAM installed) on the fly. RS3617RPxs supports up to 36 HDDs or SSDs for flexible capacity and balanced performance to meet the needs of varying applications and processes. When the storage capacity of RS3617RPxs nears its limit, expansion is easily accomplished with up to two Synology Expansion Unit RX1217/RX1217RP via specially-designed connection cables to maximize data transmission throughput between main server and expansion units. Management of the large storage space on RS3617RPxs is simple and flexible. Multiple Volumes on RAID allows users to create more than one volume on a RAID structure, providing a flexible and efficient way to manage the storage across all hard drives. When the need for more space arises, the volume could be easily expanded without any service disruption.
Reliability, Availability & Disaster Recovery
System reliability is of paramount importance to businesses which depend upon their commercial servers every day. RS3617RPxs responds to these concerns with wide-ranging availability and redundancy features:
Powerful storage solution
RS3617RPxs provides rock-solid storage solution with great performance with over 491,000 sequential read IOPS and 3,900 MB/s sequential read throughput1. DDR4 ECC UDIMM guarantees data accuracy and performance for mission-critical environments.
10GbE ready, and beyond
PCIe 3.0 slots allow for faster networking options as you expand your infrastructure. Together with the built-in quad Gigabit ports, RS3617RPxs offers comprehensive connectivity options for link aggregation and failover configurations.
Digital asset protection
Powered by Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), Synology NAS offers advanced security measures to protect against sudden data loss and potential security holes.
- Security Advisor
Analyzes system settings, password strength, network preferences, and removes any possible malware.
A kernel-level enhancement that blocks malicious programs from accessing unauthorized system resources.
- AES 256-bit encryption
Encrypt shared folders and network data transmission to keep data from unauthorized access.
- 2-step verification
Prevent others from logging in to your DSM by generating a one-time password (OTP) on your mobile device.
- Trust Level
Customize the trust level in Package Center to avoid installing packages from untrusted sources, safeguarding your NAS from unknown or tampered package files.
Complete iSCSI and virtualization solutions
Synology iSCSI storage supports most virtualization solutions including VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix Xen Server, and OpenStack Cinder, to enhance work efficiency. Create and manage virtual machines running multiple operating systems such as Windows, Linux, and DSM using Virtual Machine Manager.
Btrfs: Next generation storage efficiency
Btrfs file system introduces the most advanced storage technologies to meet the management needs of modern large scale businesses:
- Flexible Shared Folder/User Quota System provides comprehensive quota control on all user accounts and shared folders
- Snapshot Replication provides schedulable and storage capacity-saving data protection with 1,024 shared folder backups and 65,000 system-wide snapshots
- File or folder level data restoration makes data recovery fast and flexible
- Automatic file self-healing detects and recovers corrupted files without user intervention
5 year warranty
Synology's 5-year limited warranty provides hardware replacement and technical support via email and telephone services, maximizing your enterprises' return on investment.
Powered by Synology DSM
Manage multiple Synology NAS servers simultaneously on a centralized interface to increase business efficiency.
Secure, reliable, and private mail server solution with an intuitive and modern mail client.
Synology High Availability
Ensures seamless service transition between clustered servers in the event of a server failure.
Collaborate together on spreadsheets and documents on your own private cloud.
Provides schedulable and instantaneous data protection for shared folders and virtual machines on iSCSI LUNs in the event of disaster.
Comprehensive built-in security tools are constantly updated to tackle evolving threats and protect your devices.
- Power button and indicator
- Beep off button
- Drive status indicator
- Drive tray
- Power port
- PSU indicator
- PSU fan
- Console port
- 1GbE RJ-45 port
- USB 3.0 port
- Expansion port
- PCIe 3.0 slot
- Reset button
|CPU Model||Intel Xeon D-1521|
|CPU Frequency||Quad Core 2.4 (base) / 2.7 (turbo) GHz|
|Hardware Encryption Engine (AES-NI)|
|System Memory||8 GB DDR4 ECC UDIMM|
|Memory Module Pre-installed||8GB (1 x 8GB)|
|Total Memory Slots||4|
|Memory Expandable up to||64 GB (16 GB X 4)|
|Maximum Drive Bays with Expansion Unit||36|
|Compatible Drive Type||
|Maximum Internal Raw Capacity||120 TB (10 TB HDD x 12) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)|
|Maximum Raw Capacity with Expansion Units||360 TB (10 TB HDD x 36) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)|
|Maximum Single Volume Size||
|Hot Swappable Drive|
|RJ-45 1GbE LAN Port||4 (with Link Aggregation / Failover support)|
|USB 3.0 Port||2|
|PCIe Expansion||2 x Gen3 x8 slots (x8 link)|
|Add-in-card support||PCIe Network Interface Card|
|Notes||exFAT Access is purchased separately in Package Center.|
|Size (Height X Width X Depth)||88 mm x 430.5 mm x 692 mm|
|System Fan||80 mm x 80 mm x 4 pcs|
|Fan Speed Mode||
|Easy Replacement System Fan|
|Noise Level||50.2 dB(A)|
|Scheduled Power On/Off|
|Wake on LAN/WAN|
|Power Supply Unit / Adapter||2 x 500W|
|AC Input Power Voltage||100V to 240V AC|
|Power Frequency||50/60 Hz, Single Phase|
|Power Consumption||116.42 W (Access)
65.49 W (HDD Hibernation)
|British Thermal Unit||397.24 BTU/hr (Access)
223.46 BTU/hr (HDD Hibernation)
|Redundant Power Supply (for xs+ and RP model)|
|Operating Temperature||5°C to 35°C (40°F to 95°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-20°C to 60°C (-5°F to 140°F)|
|Relative Humidity||5% to 95% RH|
|Networking protocol||SMB, AFP, NFS, FTP, WebDAV, CalDAV, iSCSI, Telnet, SSH, SNMP, VPN (PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP)|
|Supported RAID type||Basic, JBOD, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10|
|File sharing capability||
|Privilege||Windows Access Control List (ACL)|
|Virtualization ready||VMware vSphere 6, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix, OpenStack Cinder|
|Directory service||Windows AD integration: Domain Users login via Samba (SMB)/AFP/FTP/File Station, LDAP integration|
|Security||FTP over SSL / TLS, IP auto-block, firewall, encrypted network backup over Rsync, HTTPS connection|
|Utilities||Synology Web Assistant, Cloud Station Drive, Cloud Station Backup, Cloud Sync Decryption Tool, Evidence Integrity Authenticator, Photo Station Uploader, Snapshot Manager for VMware, Snapshot Manager for Windows, NFS Plug-in for VMware VAAI|
|Supported client||Windows 7 onward, Mac OS X 10.10 onwards|
|Supported browser||Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 9 onwards, Safari 8 onwards; Safari (iOS 7 onwards), Chrome (Android 4.0 onwards) on tablets|
|Interface language||English, Deutsch, Français, Italiano, Español, Dansk, Norsk, Svensk, Nederlands, Русский, Polski, Magyar, Português do Brasil, Português Europeu, Türkçe, Český|
|File Station||Virtual drive, remote folder, Windows ACL editor, compress/extract archived files, bandwidth control for specific users or groups, create sharing links, transfer logs|
|Backup solutions||Network backup; local backup; desktop backup; configuration backup; OS X Time Machine; backup data to public cloud; shared folder sync - maximum task number: 16|
|FTP Server||Bandwidth control for TCP connections, custom FTP passive port range, anonymous FTP, FTP SSL/TLS and SFTP protocols, boot over the network with TFTP and PXE support, transfer logs|
|High Availability Manager||Combines two RS3617RPxs into one high-availability cluster|
|Security Advisor||Malware detection/removal, user account/password, network, system-related security scan|
|iOS/Android applications||DS cloud, DS file, DS finder, DS cam, DS note, DS audio, DS download, DS photo, DS video|
|Windows Phone applications||DS file, DS finder, DS audio, DS download, DS photo, DS video|
|Antivirus Essential||Full system scan, scheduled scan, white list customization, virus definition auto update|
|Cloud Station Suite||Maximum concurrent file transfers: 2000, retain historical and deleted file versions|
|Cloud Sync||One or two-way synchronization with public cloud storage providers including Amazon Cloud Drive, Amazon S3-compatible storage, Baiduyun, Box, Dropbox, Google Cloud Storage, Google Drive, hubiC, Megafon Disk, Microsoft OneDrive, OpenStack Swift-compatible storage, WebDAV servers, Yandex Disk|
|DLNA/UPnP Media Server||DLNA certified, PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/Xbox One support|
|Download Station||Supported download protocols: BT/HTTP/FTP/NZB/eMule; Maximum concurrent download task: 80|
|Log Center||SSL connection, log rotation: 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, email notification|
|MailPlus||Intuitive webmail interface for MailPlus Server; customizable mail labels, filters and user interface|
|MailPlus Server||Secure, reliable, and private mail server solution with High-availability, load balancing, security and filtering design (Including free MailPlus licenses for 5 mail accounts. Procurement of additional licenses is required.)|
|Note Station||Rich-text note organization and versioning, encryption, sharing, media embedding and attachments|
|Storage Analyzer||Volume and quota usage, total size of files, volume usage and trends based on past usage, size of shared folders, largest/most/least frequently modified files|
|Surveillance Station||Maximum IP camera: 75 (total of 2250 FPS at 720p, H.264) (Including two free camera licenses. Procurement of additional licenses is required.)|
|VPN Server||Maximum connections: 30; supported VPN protocol: PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP|
|Web Station||Virtual host (up to 30 websites), PHP/MariaDB, 3rd-party applications support|
|Other packages||Photo Station, Audio Station, iTunes Server, 3rd-party packages|
|Environment & Packaging:|
*Model specifications are subject to change without notice. Please refer to www.synology.com for the latest information.
1 Performance figures may vary depending on environment, usage and configuration.
2 RS3617xs supports up to 2 Synology Expansion Unit RX1217/RX1217RP, sold separately.
3 exFAT Access is purchased separately in Package Center
Synology strives to enhance the performance of our NAS with every software update, even long after a product is launched. For enterprises and users that demand uncompromising performance from their servers, check the figures below to find the most suitable choice.
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Sequential Throughput (64KB)
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Sequential Throughput via Encrypted Shared Folder (64KB)
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Sequential IOPS (4KB)
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Random IOPS (4KB)
10GbE iSCSI - Random IOPS (4KB)
1GbE Web Server - HTML Response Efficiency
|Responses per second||206844.45||206230.02||206829.64||206029.56||203557.34||207195.69||203230.31||154099.02|
1GbE Web Server - PHP Response Efficiency
|Responses per second||59770.68||82017.29||94612.93||82507.9||60403.53||59953.64||57127.87||31322.65|
- Operating System: DSM 6.1
- Volume Type: RAID 5
- RC18015xs+ with RXD1215sas, RS18017xs+: Fully loaded with HGST HUSMH8020BSS200 SAS SSD
- DS3018xs: Fully loaded with Intel DC S3710 series 800GB SSDSC2BA800G4 SATA SSD
- Other models: Fully loaded with Intel 535 series 240GB SSDSC2BW240H6 SSD
- RS18017xs+: 32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM (16GB x 2)
- RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+, RS3617RPxs: 16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMM (8GB x 2)
- DS3018xs: 32GB DDR4 ECC SO-DIMM (16GB x 2)
- Other models: System default capacity
- File System: Btrfs
- Aggregated 10GbE SMB and 10GbE iSCSI network environment:
- RS18017xs+, RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+: 6 x 10GbE ports (built-in 10GbE ports + 2 x Intel X540-T2 NIC); MTU 9000; connected to client PCs via Netgear M4300-24X24F switch
- RS3617RPxs, RS3617xs: 4 x 10GbE ports (2 x Intel X520-DA2 NIC); MTU 9000; connected to client PCs via Juniper QFX5100-48S-AFO switch
- RC18015xs+, DS3617xs, DS3018xs: 2 x 10GbE ports (1 x Intel X520-DA2 NIC); MTU 9000; connected to client PCs via Juniper QFX5100-48S-AFO switch
- For RS18017xs+, RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz; 4GB DDR3-1600; Synology E10G17-F2 NIC; MTU 9000; Windows 7 64 bit
- For other models: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz; 4GB DDR3-1600; Intel X520-DA2 NIC; MTU 9000; Windows 7 64 bit
- IOMeter configuration: Continuously read from/write to a single 16GB file for 3 minutes; Block size: 64KB for SMB, 4KB for IOPS and iSCSI
- 1GbE Web Server Network Environment:
- Intel Core i7-6700 3.40GHz; 16GB DDR4-2133; Intel Gigabit CT; MTU 1500; Ubuntu 16.04
- (html) wrk -t 8 -c [10-250] -d 60s -H "Host: benchmark" http://DS_IP/index.html
- (php) wrk -t 8 -c [10-250] -d 60s -H "Host: benchmark"http://DS_IP/echo.php
- Performance figures are achieved in the Synology lab by using very powerful client computers with optimized network settings, and could vary in different environments. Regular office desktop or notebook computers may not be able to reproduce these figures.
Download the Synology RackStation RS3617RPxs Datasheet (PDF).